Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Baby Love

Something people may not realize is how important it is to love on a newborn baby. A baby is born into the world knowing absolutely nothing. The only knowledge of love a baby has comes from his/her parent or caretaker. Everything that a parent does for and to their child teaches that child how to love themselves and how to love others.

When a parent holds their child and gives them kisses and cuddles with them and tells them "I love you," that parent is teaching their child that they love and desire their child's physical closeness. When a parent shows great concern when their child gets injured, they are teaching their child that his/her body is important and because the parent loves their child's body, they don't want anything to happen to it. When a parent feeds their baby when he is hungry, the parent is saying, "You have a need, and because I love you, I will meet that need." Thus the parent is teaching their child about physical love.

When a parent plays with their child and spends quality time with them, they are saying to their child, "You are important to me, I love and desire your company." When a parent listens to their child, they are saying, "You are important to me, I love to hear what you have to say." When a parent talks to their child and counsels them, they are saying, "I love conversing with you and helping you." And thus the parent is teaching their child about emotional love.

When a parent disciplines/spanks their child (in a righteous manner and never in anger), the parent is communicating, "I love you enough to teach you what is right and wrong and to not allow you to do something that will harm yourself or others."

There is so much more that could be said but for lack of time I must stop. However, if you are a parent, know that everything you do teaches your child. Everything. Everything your child learns and knows in his first years, comes directly from you. If you are constantly impatient with your child and bothered by his presence, you will teach him that he is a burden and not worthy of your time. And while you may not see the immediate results at the newborn stage or even at the age of three, they WILL follow in the pre-teen through adult years.

1 comment:

Annie Faye said...

Great post, thank you! I've tucked it away somewhere in my mind for years to come, when I have my own children.
I saw you're homeschooling your children. God's blessings on you