Monday, November 30, 2009

A Thanksgiving Reflection

Today, as I was riding the elevator to the 6th floor of my doctor's office, a lady joined me for the ride up and, breaking the "we never speak to anyone in the elevator" rule, she asked me and another lady already on the elevator, "How was your thanksgiving?" Both I and the other lady replied, "Good! How was yours?"

"Great!" She replied. Wanting to keep the friendly chit-chat going I asked, "Lots of good food?" "Oh yes," she replied, "but the important thing is family!" At this point, the other lady got off, leaving us to ride to the 6th floor alone together. I did not say anything else to this lady because her remark felt more like a rebuke to me than friendly chit-chat.

But it got me thinking. Why do we look forward to Thanksgiving? Is it the food? Is it the day off work? Is it because we get to spend time with family? Family is most certainly important; however, family is important every day of the year. What, then, is so special about Thanksgiving?

I believe what is special and most important about Thanksgiving is why we celebrate the holiday. How many who gather remember the story of the Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving and why they celebrated it? How many who gather give thanks to God Almighty for His bountiful blessings and even the trials, which keep us to look upon His shining countenance?

Hmm. Not many, I fear. Instead, we look forward to food, time off, and family-all things which, in and of themselves, are not bad. But we would do well to remember what is most important about Thanksgiving: giving thanks to God and blessing His holy name for all that He is and all that He has given, and even the things He takes away because our God is good! Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

iBond said...

Well said!